Samstag, 31. Juli 2010

In India, the sun wears a moustache

Currently Lexi and I are in Udaipur, one of the most beautiful cities we have seen in India so far. We enjoy our stay to the fullest and have even cancelled our trip to Jaisalmer, as we were too exhausted from our previous journey and wanted to relax a bit. So we did some beauty treatments, sight seeing and even made half a day of horseback riding through the nature surrounding Udaipur.

Udaipur’s rulers are said to be decedents from the sun, with the oldest ruling family in the world, ca. 1400 years. Udaipur is also famous for its miniature paintings and there are art schools scattered all around the old city, selling their art. We learned that the horse is the animal representing Udaipur stands for power, the Elephant from Jaipur stands for luck and the camel from Jaisalmer stands for love.

Normally when I travel I seek the hidden places, where locals thrive and I can discover something new. In India, you want to stay in the touristy areas, as everything else is too dangerous and dirty. I would never have thought that I would be so narrow minded, but men starring at me for too long in the streets and the traffic make me nervous.

So Lexi and I enjoy the touristy area of Udaipur with it’s different shops and restaurants. We have our rickshaw driver Jimmy (don’t ask me for his Hindi name) telling us that we bring good luck to the city as it rains regularly since we have arrived here. The rain fills up the lakes and makes the Lake Palace Hotel look like its floating in the water. There, the 80’s James Bond movie “Octopussy” was partly filmed, which everyone around you keeps telling. You can go to any restaurant in the night and watch the movie, which we find kind of funny. We imagine the waiters being able to recite every line of the movie, if they really have to witness it every night.

In Udaipur we are sourrounded by other foreigners. This is nice for a change, as we then are not like animals in the zoo with everyone staring too much at us. But two girls traveling alone is quite a bit to cope with for the men, even in Udaipur. Guys on bikes drive by and make cheesy compliments and the hotel owner is in love with Lexi whom he compares to Angelina Jolie. We managed to buy some clothes that cover us well, with long baggy pants and kurtis on top.

We both had our share of experience with the typical India diseases. After the diarrhea was gone, Lexi could enjoy all the food, while I am stuck with stomach pain every time I eat something not fluid. So on my menu are all kinds of Lassies and soups. At the same time I have to look at Lexi on the other side of the table eating delicious sandwiches, pancakes and Indian masalas.

Tomorrow we will continue to Mount Abu, the typical spot for people on a honey moon, so it’s perfect for Lexi and me :-)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen