Freitag, 3. Dezember 2010

Goodwill or Stupidity?


It is minus 10 °C in Berlin.

I am a pretty normal Western girl. I got a lot of education, I like to do read, party, jump, and be random with friends… I think you get the picture. My parents have the tendency to be a bit weird and hippy like. This way I had to renovate rooms, chop wood, wear weird cloths and hang out at punk concerts with my mom. So I have seen things.

It is minus 10 °C in Berlin.

This heritage, maybe also my provincial hometown, might explain why I fall for beggars of most kind. Every time I am in a bigger city, I give my change to strangers and in Berlin many of them are smelly and alcoholic.

It is minus 10 °C in Berlin.

Asia taught me a lesson about this. Especially in India I learnt that begging is a business. People make a living of it and they use your “pity” for their own advantage. In Asia my skin color showed people that I am supposedly rich. I learnt very fast that I did not want to give much to this business. I had this revelation of how you yourself are responsible for your own happiness and that this money does not do any good.

It is minus 10 °C in Berlin.

I rather would share my education and enable people to grow and get out of poverty. The beggars in Berlin live on the streets. They often do alcohol or drugs. Every year some of them die in the cold. So I am what is the best thing I could do? Give them my small change, which they could use on more alcohol? Buy their newspapers? Spend a day in a so-called soup kitchen?

It is minus 10 °C in Berlin. What’s your opinion or advice?

Picture Getty Images #81226846

1 Kommentar:

  1. Begging and giving money to beggars is illegal in many parts of India. That ofcourse doesn't mean it happens any less or people stop giving. Still, the biggest outflow of money usually goes to temples or otheer soup kitchens which feed people directly. Similarly, people are often advised to not give money and give some food instead. People then keep biscuit packets etc sometimes to ensure people (kids especially) don't spend it on drugs and alcohol.

    It's 10 degees in Delhi. Lovely weather for soup and a nice stroll.

    It's primarily the govt's job to curb inequalities. At most one can lobby for better on grond provisions (homeless shelters etc) or vote the other guys in. In general however, no point stressing oneself. One can only donate / work with groups directly etc so much.

    It's 10 degrees in Delhi. YOu see snow, I see missed chances to open a popsicle shop.

    AntwortenLöschen